Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Still With Florence

I promised a day of statues and Michelangelo, and here it is. So much to view but so much not allowed to be photographed. I snuck in “The David” but please do not tell anyone!


Florence continues to offer so much and I am saturating myself in its marvellous creation and preservation of artistic history. I feel so young in an old part of the world. OK, I know I do not look like the young ‘David’ but I am still moving strongly through this mission of mine.

I once again found kids at play. This will answer your many questions about what to do with the kids when the adults want to walk through large museums and galleries - the kids play UNO. I am calling these the Uffizi Gallery kids.

On visiting the Basilica of Santa Croce I discovered so much. This is where Michelangelo, Galileo, Rossini, Machiavelli and the hierarchy of Florentine cultural and political talent are buried: Incredible in its Franciscan simplicity, yet powerful in its contents. These paintings of the Deposition of Christ, the Ascension and the Assumption of the BVM are truly breathtaking. (Double click the pic to enlarge it).
As I have said before, the camera only limits our experience while whetting our tastes. Well, if I have not said that before I am saying it now.
Every time I take a picture there is someone in my life who comes to mind, be it the picture or who I would like to see this picture there and then. Even Hercules and his anger reminds me of incidents in my life that have helped shape who I am in the Plan of Creation. I am here and not travelling alone, and also discovering wonderful things about the importance of prayer and putting in the effort. I guess I would call that spiritual and physical exercise. Am I becoming a Jesuit?
This page is dedicated to the Franciscans, the Benedictines, the Dominicans and the Jesuits, all who have and continue to care  for our Church and world.

The Mercíes, Marists and Josephite pages are yet to come. Beware! Pace e bene.

No comments:

Post a Comment