Saturday, August 7, 2010

Still Dazing in Rome

What a special place! I started my day by attending Mass at my local church (left) - Basilica of Mary Maggiore, and yes it was the Feast of the Dedication of the Basilica. Wasn't I lucky? Beautiful music and the extra bonus of having snow (fake) falling from the 14th century ceiling over the altar during the 'Gloria'.  The title of 'Our Lady of the Snows' belongs to this Basilica and on this feast day we get the works. Love it. Double click the pic to see the snow, and then get your magnifier glass. Oh yes, the pic to the right is the Bishop of Rome's, ie the Pope's, Basilica, St John Lateran. Understated huh?
I had to go for another swim in the days that followed. Found a great beach near Ostia, the ancient Roman port. It may be ancient but the service was modern...a cocktails cart on the beach. Love it too! I had to take this pic of three women operating in different worlds in Rome in 2010: one is crocheting; one is trying to work a mobile phone but eventually she went to sleep and the phone fell on the train floor and woke her up, and one is syncing (a New Age term) her I-phone with her friend's MP3 player. Interesting place this!

The strange pic to the upper left is the 'death of my sandals'. As can be seen, they are trying to get out of the rubbish bin, but let me tell you, they went straight back in and thereby saved my feet for further travels. May they RIP as they served me well for several years all over the world.
This page is dedicated to travellers and St Christopher who travels with us. (Yes, he was never taken off the 'List'. (double click to increase the pics)


No comments:

Post a Comment