Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Leaving Florence, sadly

After spending time in Cinque Terre, Bolbi Gardens and the Pitti Palace, I am preparing to leave Florence. Almost? I am sitting outside the Medici Chapel, funeral home of the great Medici family of Florentine Princes (and crooks!). I am amazed that I can sit here with a glass of red in the evening and speak of the long dead to the important living in my life.
During my visit to this wonderful part of Italy, here are some highlights.
I call one 'Life is like that', 'Motherhood', and a 'swim in the Med at my next parish, St Peters as part of  Cinque Terre'. Look where the church is. What great opportunities for Parish Council!

In the Pitti Palace there was an exhibition of the history of wine. I found out that women were not allowed by law to drink in Roman times. Interesting I thought. Then I found this inscription upon a headstone which made me smile. I am not sure that it fits anyone I know, but then again...?

"Here lies Maronis, wine guzzler, old hag, drainer of barrels, and above her tomb stands an Attic cup in view of all. Even underground she mourns not for her children, nor for her husband, whom she left a pauper, but for one thing only: that the cup is empty." Leonidas of Taranto.

Maronis was stoned to death by her husband and that was supported by the law, as it is recorded. Ouch!
Here is a picture of my friend and bar owner with free Internet, Ludivicio. His cafe has made my Blogging easier. I guess he is sponsoring this page. No stonings...promise.

 Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment