Sunday, August 15, 2010

Malteasers

I have very much enjoyed my visit to Malta. I have journeyed further with St Paul (he ran aground here and stayed three months), and I have visited the catacombs, the citadels and the cathedrals that are central to the rich Maltese culture.

Robin and I had a car for two days and we managed to drive our way around Malta  and Gozo without incident, other than the drama trying to refuel our car. I am still owed 10 Euro by that wretched machine!

Highlights would have to include the wonderful Assumption liturgy at Qrendi and the way the parish's light up their churches and streets. Robin reckons she has 'holy credits' as she experienced her first sung Vespers, Exposition, Benediction and the Solemn Pontifical Mass for the Feast of the Assumption. To reward her, I let her drive the car. I did not know she had not driven a manual stick shift since 1985ish, but as it turned out, I was glad we went to Mass first.  Also, she had never driven a right hand drive manual car before. I can now say the Hail Mary in Maltese!!!!!!!!!!! She was great and our insurance never came close to being touched.

Other highlights have to be the fiestas that go with this Feast. We witnessed horse races, well they were trotters really, that tore through the streets of Victoria. Magnificent flags and banners, great local food and friendship.
Any visit here must include a swim at the spectacular 'Blue Grotto'. The Grotto is on Gozo and is framed by the 'Azure Window'. Brilliant. Oh yes, a beer afterwards will be appreciated, trust me.
I would easily come back to Malta. The Australian welcome is everywhere, and one is never a stranger. Here is a pic of the National shrine of Our Lady of Ta Pinu.
Tomorrow, it is back to Rome for a couple of days then off to Florence. I need to have a chat with Flo!
This page is dedicated to all the Maltese extended families that I have met in Australia - yes that means you Lyds and the family.     

No comments:

Post a Comment