Saturday, October 23, 2010

Walking New York

I have clocked up some miles these last few days. My feet hurt! I began by walking the Brooklyn Bridge across to, well, Brooklyn. Even though the day was overcast, the sun made its way through.

I had a real urge to go to the old World Trade Centre (WTC) site. There is a new World Trade Centre being built of course, but the Memorial at the old site of the 9 September 2001 disaster was a must for me. (New building right). I managed a pic of the start of the new building (left).

I walked all the downtown of Manhattan and then made my way to the Centre. Here is a pic of Wall Street with the famous Trinity Church at the end. Trinity backs onto the WTC site.

I managed a visit to St Patrick's Cathedral before I squeezed in another show. This time "The Screwtape Letters", the famous book by CS Lewis, now a Broadway Play. It was great, but not for the light of faith.

I have topped off my walking of New York by a long visit to the spectacular Central Park. This is a haven amongst the mayhem of the city. These pics capture a little of my joy here, and I need to share them.

New York is not every one's favourite city, but it is in my top five because of its diversity, its modern beauty and because of its great friendliness.
This page is dedicated to those who died in New York,  the Pentagon and Pennsylvania September 9, 2001...and to those who helped and survived.


No comments:

Post a Comment