Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Danube, Melk and Salzburg

Who said I could not do it?

Once the rain stopped, this is what I got up to.

I have sailed the Danube through the Wachau Valley, visited the UNESCO site of the famous Melk Benedictine Monastery, and...hiked Salzburg! It sounds like so much, but at least I had more seated time in these achievements. The walking though is helping keep the stray strudels at bay at least.

Much of the Danube that I sailed reminded me of the Rhine. It is rich in wine growing and dotted with ancient castles an monasteries, all of which seem to be strategically placed over the best views. Isn't that what the Catholic Church does when it builds a church. I love that! History repeating itself.

Melk Monastery (above right) from the 11th century is now famous for its added Baroque architecture, (a tad over the top if you ask me), its famous marble hall and massive library. It is on the banks of the Danube. The tour is wonderful because it spends as much time explaining the work of the current day monks and their school, as well as the historical aspects of the monastery. It is a very relevant approach because in the 17th century all monasteries in Austria (as we know it today) were suppressed unless they were involved in a parish, with a school or an hospital. This monastery was one that survived and continues its pastoral ministry in parishes and their famous  school which offers subsidised education. The entire monastery is now self sufficient because of tourism, yet this does not impact on the essentials of the Benedictine monastic life.

When we think of Salzburg we often think of just 'The Sound of Music' (TSOM). Well I do anyway. I am now wiser, yet again. See, I told you this was a sabbatical - and with no exams!

Salzburg is Mozart's birth place. His sister is buried there which I must confess, is a fine place to be buried. As I have said previously, Autumn is a wonderful time to be visiting the mountainous countryside of  upper Austria. This is also the place where "Silent Night " was composed and written. Only 79 days to Christmas by the way! The Cathedral and Fortress, the old archbishop's residence, in Salzburg contained more Baroque over-the-top. The history of the archbishop involved in the cathedral's second building leaves a lot to be desired, as does his (alleged) mistress and 16 children of the 17th century. My pic here shows the Mirabell Gardens, the Cathedral and the Fortress way up there.

I visited the Basilica of St. Michael, where Maria and the The Count were married in TSOM (left). This is a beautiful town by the lake of Modsee. I really liked this place because it was so peaceful. I prayed a lot here.


This sunset pic is of the fields facing the Danube from St Michael's. All will be well.


This page is dedicated to Kirsty. She knows why.




No comments:

Post a Comment