Monday, October 4, 2010

To Austria

The travel from Cologne to Vienna is very peaceful, even if it was an early start (5.00am). This is a beautiful time of the year as all the trees are just turning autumn colours. It reminds me very much of Canberra. I highly recommend listening to a magical piece of music titled “Spiegel im Spiegel”. It means ‘Mirror in Mirror’ apparently. I have Amy Dixon’s piano version playing on the Ipod, but know there are clarinet and violin versions. I have always loved this music, but it is more special travelling through the German countryside. Once again the train travel is comfortable and a lot less stressful than fighting through airports, especially since the UK and USA just issued new travel warnings for Europe as I left Cologne. How did they know I was on the move?

Like Cologne, I have no particular plans for Vienna. As has been my custom, I base myself centrally and travel out from there for day trips. That was how I did the Rhine through Bonn, Kolbetz and Mainz, and the same plan for Paris and districts. It saves me moving accommodation and lightens any transport hassles without luggage.

I am also a person who likes to spend much time reading when in museums and historical places of interest. Many people go in and see what has to be seen, and then move on. I take ages and would be frustrating for a travel companion who did not share similar interests. I read up before hand, and then discover more as I go. For example, the pics of the famous Cologne Cathedral, a site that dominates the whole city, do not capture enormity of the building. It took 600 years to complete and was then damaged in WW11. Such madness to treat a fingerprint of God’s like that, I reckon. 20,000 were killed in Cologne during the bombing raids from that war. The pictures of the devastation are too much, but it does give us a greater appreciation for the beauty of the city and its people, especially as so much had to be rebuilt.
Thank heavens the builders were faithful to so much of the original architectural history. When this was not possible, the mix of old and new in the some restorations has been very successful. Web sites like St Apostle’s, St Martin’s and also Kolumba’s might interest you. These three churches have developed incredible prayer spaces that enhance the sacred while inviting a closeness that is not always achieved in church architecture. I am also mindful that many of these buildings are just the latest version upon a pre-existing sacred place, often dating back to pre-Christian Rome.

If I can walk Vienna and Salzburg, sail the Danube through the Wachau valley and visit Melk’s Benedictine Abbey, while supping with the ghost of Mozart and avoiding the ghost of Freud, all in four days – I will have done OK. Wish me luck, yet again.

This page is dedicated to those who are moved by beautiful music and intoxicating scenery - and especially to those who cannot hear or see the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment