Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Papal Audience

Not so up close and personal, but still very impressive and moving. They are my first thoughts after an early start to keep our reserved seats for other members of our Pilgrim Group who were advantaged by a little sleep-in.
The crowd at St Peter's Square was overwhelming. Too many to count on my few fingers and toes. Pics are of Bishop Mark leading his "flock" into St Peter's, and the bride and groom I found and then smothered in Aussie blessings before the Papal Audience. I never found out who they were. Oops!
 I never was able to get as close to the Pope. It will probably always be that way. The Audience was a long and warm experience which kept many of us tired but exhilarated.

I then had time with some of our group for a quick small snack at the Trevi Fountain, before Mass at the Irish College. This College was responsible for many of the Irish priest veterans who grounded the Australian Catholic Church. Mary Mackillop spent time here in 1872, though this chapel is newly renovated, and extremely beautiful.

The Pilgrimage is actually very hard work - lots of early starts, traffic hold ups, rain, queues, much walking, Italian language issues, but all is sustained by our focus on Mary Mackillop, an Australian who did it much tougher.

This page is dedicated to the Sisters of St Joseph and the parish of Temora NSW Australia, and the family of Margaret and John (RIP) Reardon. These people believed in me and allowed me the opportunity to let God work through me. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment