Monday, October 4, 2010

Leaving Cologne

I have had a great stay in this part of Germany. I love Cologne and without a doubt I vote it the friendliest city I have stayed in, and that is no small statement. Truly. I did have some poor weather for a while, but that just kept me indoors at wonderful museums and Gothic and Romanesque churches. A city of churches with an enormous Catholic heritage.

I managed to cruise the Rhein down to Mainz, which is the middle part of the river, and many say the most beautiful. It has ancient castle fortresses and lifelong vineyards that still produce some of the best wines in the world - except for Ballinaclash, Grove Estate and Lockwood. That plug did not cost you guys a cent. It was on this trip that I annoyed friends back home with jealousy pics from my phone. 

It is also Octoberfest here, so what does that mean? Not being a real beer drinker, it was a bit wasted on me, so I did not get wasted on it. I did find this fantastic Bier (Beer) Bike which a group just hire and peddle about town, all seated and peddling around this bar. It holds about 12 people and I put my friend's names imaginarily on every seat and had a ball. You know who you are sharing the seat with me. Is 'imaginarily' a real word? I think I just invented a word. Am I clever or what?

This was also the weekend of the Cologne Marathon. I had a complete 'meltdown' over the Severen Bridge as I witnessed the disabled participants finishing the event. The feeling of being so fortunate to pack up my bags and just move on whenever I will, completely overcame me. This was not the same day as the Bier Bike by the way. I sat on the side of the road and had a happy weep. I know, big softie!

As I prepare to go to Vienna, Austria in the morning by train (8 hours countryside travel), I have already packed and shared my last thoughts from Cologne. That will not stop me from writing on the train though. This pic is sunset over the Rhine.

My only advice if ever you come to Germany do not let new found friends order a traditional German meal for you. For those who know me, I do NOT eat pork. Never get yourself in the position of trying to bury a 'jellied pig's head' discreetly in your backpack when no one is looking. It is not a good look. Trust me. I will now have to learn German so that does not happen to me again. My second bit of German travel advice: do not come here to loose weight. That will happen for me in Austria I am sure. I refuse to be fat for Mary Mackillop's canonisation.

This page is dedicated to Robin and Theo who share birthday's this weekend, and to Corrine and Ryan who are marrying in the Whitsundays on Wednesday. Bless you all and your families.

No comments:

Post a Comment