Friday, October 8, 2010

Leaving Vienna for Rome

My last day in Vienna was filled with sunshine. I was able to conquer two things I thought I would not have time for, and they both involved Austrian Imperial Palaces.

I visited Prince Eugene's Palace, The Belvedere. It has beautiful sculptured formal gardens with huge fountains. Most of the fountains were being renovated, but these two pics above could give some idea of the grandeur.

I then trekked off to the famous Schonbrunn Palace, summer residence for Habsburg Kaiser Franz Stephan and his ever breeding wife, Maria-Theresia. That is how her name is spelt, OK! They had 16 children and of those 12 that survived early childhood, there was an album full of history and royal tragedy. All but one child, Christina (the favourite) were married off to form political alliances with other European and South American countries. Louis XV1 of France married Marie Antoinette, and they both lost their heads. Another daughter was dethroned and killed, one son committed suicide and Maria herself was stabbed to death with a letter opener by a disaffected Italian. Tough being a royal huh?

The Schonbrunn was built as a hunting lodge. I could take up hunting if that was the reward. And what about the "summer residence" bit"? Maria hardly ever stayed in it or kept time with the children she had. I guess nine months in the womb was as close as she wanted to get to them. The Winter or main Habsburg residence is less than five kilometers away, still in Vienna. Perhaps there was global warming back in the 1700's.

I finished my big day out by attending a Mozart concert in the room where he worked and played for Bishop Colloredo during 1781. The concert was very intimate and the setting was perfect. A brilliant finish to my stay in Vienna and Austria.

Now for Rome and the Aussie pilgrim onslaught for Mary Mackillop's canonisation. One good thing is that we are staying at the Ergife Palace Hotel, via Aurelia in Rome. I like the palace idea after my big day today. Ora pro nobis!

This page is dedicated to all those who avoid strudel and schnitzel and the like, and still put on weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment