Sunday, September 26, 2010

More Dead French People

I know I said last page that I was going north to visit Australian WW1 War Memorials. Well, that did not happen for two reasons: the continuing cold rain and my inability to read train timetables correctly. In truth, this was my first time train failure. I will get their tomorrow, all being well.

I did find more dead French other people though - at the famous Pere-Lachaise Cemetary. The above pics make this look like an ancient Roman, Greek, Gothic, modern - village, for the dead, really. It is 43 hectares and is the largest cemetary in Paris. It has often been said that if we want to now the history of a place, go to where the dead are buried. Many famous statesmen and women, musicians and artistes are resting here. I have included Rossini, Chopin, Edith Piaf "The Little Sparrow", Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde.

Morrison's unpretentious grave has a day guard posted to it, while Oscar's gets steam cleaned every Monday to wash away the messages and lipstick kisses that eventually smother the tomb. (double click to make it bigger and you will see what I mean. You may also see an empty bottle lying on Morrison's grave. Apparently it is not the guard's task to keep it tidy.) 

I am not a morbid character really, but there is something intruiging about the way civilisations honour their dead. So many people are more famous in death than they were in their lives, and we tend to build mourning structures that show our constant struggle with our mortality. Remember, there are no real estate prices in Heaven.
I will finish this page with a happier yet equally as quiet pic: that of a Deaf Community march past the famous Pompidou Centre.

This page is dedicated to my dear friend Leo Callinan RIP, who hightened my love of good music...and to his daughter Louise who I am trying to contact while in Paris. I know you are reading this Blog Louise, so put 'Angelica's' habit aside and contact me.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment