Tuesday, September 7, 2010

In Search of the Nile

Found it. It is over here (the Nile that is).
It is so annoying that the Internet is not strong enough to send pictures. (You are now reading the new edition). In my search for Cleopatra I have overnight trained it from Cairo to Luxor, then sailed to Aswan. (Abu Simbel pic top right). 

I have been through the Valley of the Kings, The Valley of the Queens, including that of Queen Hatshepsut (right), the Colossi of Memnon, a hot air balloon ride over these valleys and Luxor, visited Karnak temple complex which is the largest of its kind in the world being about 65 acres. The top of the 138 pillars which held up the Great Hall's ceiling can hold 100 people, so that gives you a small idea of the size of this temple.

I have been through tombs of royalty and robbers. I have been bargaining with nearly every family member of our guide and seemingly gone through all their business interests and outlets. I have learnt to say "I do not want an alabaster cat" in 15 languages.

I am currently on a boat for four days sailing down the Nile. It is truly beautiful and I am getting great pics of the real Egyptian culture and daily life. I am so sad that I cannot get them to readers of this Blog until I get stronger Internet connections. It will be worth the wait I hope. (You are now reading the new edition).
Last evening a small boat came alongside while we were at anchor waiting our turn to get through the first loch. We were on the upper deck having a cup of tea...ok, a glass or two of red wine, when suddenly an Egyptian cotton dress and then a rug came flying over the railing (which is four floors up mind you). The chaps in their little boat were trying to sell us all sorts of clothes by throwing them up at us. It was too funny, until we realised we were not as clever in throwing them back. I only saw one article land in the river. I asked them for a donkey but it never came flying up for me. Apparently the goods are paid for by throwing some clothes back with the $$$ enclosed. They would not take visa funnily enough.
These are some of the stories that make travel so enjoyable.
Stay tuned for more. I am closing with a sunset pic over the Nile.
This page is dedicated to the struggling Egyptian masses who try to make a living from this River.

No comments:

Post a Comment