Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Amiens, Villers-Bretonneux

Made it at last, though, like the War itself, all things did not go to plan. So we learn to overcome and adapt, and that is what I did. The first pics are of the Villers-Bretonneux War Memorial and Cemetery. It is beautifully maintained. 11,000 names are recorded here from northern France in WW1, mostly of those soldiers unnamed and unknown, but forever remembered.   

By the time I arrived in Amiens, I missed the connecting train to Villers-Bretonneux by 10 minutes. That was after an unnamed woman called Barbara did not turn up to meet for my guided tour of the battlefields. While all this was going on and not going on, I missed Louise (Callinan) and her role as Sr Angelica in Paris with the opera. What does that say - a priest and a nun  and St Barbara who is the Patron Saint of Warfare Officers, not getting to schedule? The Church is still safe in 2011, I am sure.

After my struggles to get to the battlefield sites, this is how I felt, like the famous Weeping Angel in Notre Dame de Amiens.This Cathedral is one of the five famous Cathedrals of France, and one which honors Australians. It is truly magnificent, and if one has to 'waste' time while waiting for tour guides, then is is a good place to do it. This page is dedicated to our war dead - Lest We Forget.



No comments:

Post a Comment