Sunday, September 5, 2010

Looking for Cleopatra

Well the search has begun and I am keenly watching out for asp's...no this is not a typo or body part, but the breed of snake that Cleo used to check out of her kingdom and into her own pyramid.

Welcome to Egypt.

I have learnt several things about Egypt, just from driving one hour from the airport to my hotel. These are important lessons in life and should be shared with all:

1. Always put as many people in the vehicle as possible. (No kidding, there are 14 people in this small sedan and 5 on this Vespa motor bike! Rumour has it that the mother was also expecting another...a record surely!)

2. My driver told me never smoke hashish in the car while driving – except with the windows closed! Please note, I was not even smoking! Trust me, I needed every breath of air to stay alive and keep my heart rate down.

3. There must always be two cars sharing the same lane, and if there is no lane, there must be at least three cars vying for a place.

4. Donkeys do not have right of way.

5. Horns and flashing headlights must only be used once every 20 seconds.

6. Apparently, donkeys do have right of way!

The hotel is great with an ample pool. Being Ramadan in a very Muslim country is perplexing, that is , no bar service. Not happy! Went looking for a little grog outlet...no luck. Not happy! I may just have to bite the bullet at the exorbitant hotel wine prices. Not happy.

I suppose I could have another night without a glass of wine: no wait there, that is probably why the Egyptians lost their empire. Not that I am into empire building, but I do take a keen interest in the lessons from history.

All is being revealed about the great Egyptian histories but I may not have e-access for the next four days as I am on the Nile. I cannot even upload the pictures to prove I am here, but trust me. I am here.

My last funny story: I thought my guide's name was Neil. I kept calling him that for half a day and he kept ignoring me, until he said his name is Kahed, and the river is NILE. The accent is getting to me, a bit like the cab driver to the left!

This page is dedicated to those who work in the IT world. Come and get a job in Egypt, fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment