Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Seattle

So it has been wet back home. I can sympathise. Seattle is allegedly one of the wettest places in the US. I have only had one wettish evening, and that just forced me indoors...to a shoe shop!
I cannot believe the size of the seagulls here. They are huge. Do they come from Texas?
As I often do in a new city, I took a tour to acquaint myself with the lay of the land and especially the local history. There are many famous landmarks here, and I have only included a few. The Pike Street Public Markets are a must. The famous fish throwers at the seafood market are a hoot.Very funny watching visitors get shocked at these masters of fishery.
The Troll under the bridge is brilliant. Local artists built it to keep drug dealers away, and it worked because as we all know, drug dealer hate photos of themselves, and so many people stop here for a pic. I had to do it. The Troll is the big one!

 
I took a trip across to Bainbridge Island and was able to take in a reasonable view of the volcanic and ever snow covered Mt Ranier. Even in gloomy weather, this is a beautiful place. 
The Space Needle landmark was built for the 1962 World Fair which attracted the most World Fair participants ever. I bravely went to go to the top of the tower, but alas, it was closed for a private Christmas function. I was saved from the heights issues, legitimately.
As I prepare to leave for Vancouver in British Columbia (Canada), I dedicate this page to those back home who are losing their crops because of the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment