Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Leaving San Francisco

Back in San Fran for two days. San Francisco is an amazing city with an unique personality. This personality is reflected in the people, the buildings and the mostly accepting mix of how those two elements live together. Admittedly, getting on a bus today and sitting opposite Thomas with his five year old pet female iguana...tests the boundaries.

He was not worried though. Funny that, as we were driving up to the Haight/Ashbury district of the city. This is the starting place of the Hippie movement in the Vietnam war years. It is now an eclectic mix of old and new which, like much of the inner city, will be visually effected on 1 January 2011 when homeless sitting and lying down laws will be implemented. The homeless are not being allowed to sit or lie down in the streets. I hope someone comes to their aid. My pic shows a tired Aussie flag on the Haight sign.
I spent part of my last day with Rory, a candidate for the Permanent Diaconate in the San Francisco Archdiocese. Pic is taken atop of Twin Peaks. The Golden Gate Bridge is just visible in the left near Rory's elbow.

My visit here has been a real treat. I was able to spend time with Mark and gain a greater understanding of his passion for the Church and architecture. I met many wonderful people who are trying to make a positive difference to the lives of the locals and the world. All in all, I have done well. Pic of St Paul's church left is the one used in Sister Act. The last pic is of the city from Twin Peaks.

Now to Hawaii to escape the cool and wet, to work on a tan, and find out if, where and when I have to start work again.

This page is dedicated to the acquaintances in San Francisco who have become my friends, and to my friends here and at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment