Monday, July 19, 2010

Travelling in the Holy Land 1

My retreat has finished, and yes....I passed...I guess. Am I going to become a monk or an Ignatian? All I can say at the moment is that I have to work on what I have, and make what little that may be, a lot. 

We have left Jerusalem for Ein Karem, the birth place of John the Baptist.  We celebrated Mass at the Basilica of the Visitation and that is significant. Why? This is where Mary and her cousin Elizabeth came together and began to live they mystery that their children's destinies were going to alter the course of the world. John the Baptist and Jesus: one who held the sandal that would hold the greatest footprint in the world.
We travelled through to Caesar Maritama where you can see me gently being a proud Aussie in the Mediterranean. This place was one of Herrod the Great's building projects that became the summer residence of the Roman leaders of  Judea. After travelling to Mt Carmel at Haifa we stopped to look at the Ba'hi Gardens which are truly magnificent. They go down seven terraces and embrace the tomb of the founder. The water in the background leads to a view of Lebanon on a clear day.
I am still in in awe that I am in this place where these events occurred and are recorded. I am actually in Jesus' backyard, His playground and His workplace, His homeland. So, I had to also include a little pic of me trying to walk on water in Lake Galilee (known now as the Sea Of Tiberius). It has been 38 degrees here and sweltering. I hope these pics cheer the people of Young and Canberra up as they freeze. This is just my way of saying "Ï am thinking" of you.

The top pic is of Troy and I by Galilee after celebrating mass for our parishes, the Bishops, priests, deacons, seminarians and Religious from the Archdiocese. We are at the Church of the Primacy of Peter where St. Peter received the "Keys" from Christ. This page is dedicated to you.

Remember to double click the pic to enlarge it

No comments:

Post a Comment