Monday, July 5, 2010

Konya - the home of Sufism

Troy and I have made it to Konya, which is the spiritual and physical home of Sufism. The first thing I notice (after the cherries for sale - go Young!) is that the city has a population of just over a million, is the size of Holland, is very religiously conservative, does not allow alcohol in public...and wait for it...has the highest alcohol consumption in Turkey. What the???
Well, this is where the Sufi's started eh? This is also the home of the famous 'Whirling Dirvishes' and their trance meditation dance called a "Sema". Sufis are a sect of Islam who believe in brotherhood, divine love, and unity.They were founded by Mevlana Rumi and he is buried here. I have included some of his wisdom in the pic to the left. Google all the places and things I am (not) telling you in these pages, and Sufis and Konya might be two such interests. There are mosques everywhere here...and no bars, just in case you never picked that up in my introduction. In fact, there are too many minarets (the towers adjoining the mosques) for me to count. Enjoy the sunset shot of the one near my hotel.

From here we go to Cappadoccia and both Troy and I are going hot air ballooning over some of the most spectacular scenery in Turkey. I have not told him that yet, as he is scared of heights.
This page is dedicated to Jayne and Shiraz, as they are like Whirling Dervishes when they find a good red. Must rush now as it is happy hour with our duty free booze...in a hidden room. Follow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment