Friday, July 16, 2010

The Holy Sepulchre

Managed  another visit to the Holy Sepulchre.

When I say another, I mean I am staying 15mins walk from there and that is where I go for private time. The pics to the left and right are the colonnade and dome at the tomb of Jesus. The pic in the centre below is the rock on which His body was anointed.  This is very special place and I have placed in my prayers all the sick and those who care for them that I am aware of, here.

This is at the entrance to the Holy Sepulchre, so can be busy, but I really feel peace here. I especially like the mosaic of the death, taking down from the Cross, and burial of Our Lord. I include some pics. The mosaic is the gold piece behind the hanging burners, and the Rock of Anointing is the rectangular piece at the bottom of the pic.

So what exactly is the Holy Sepulchre?  In a moment, it is the place of Christ's death, burial and Resurrection. It was originally built by Emperor Constantine, or rather his mother St Helena in 335AD. It has suffered fire, earthquake, wars and deterioration. Today it is maintained and venerated by the Catholic Church under the protection of the Franciscans, the Greek Orthodox Church and the Armenian Orthodox Church. Confusing? Well wait till you visit! Faith passes through all countries Customs' offices.
All three ancient traditions carry on their religious and cultural veneration of this holy site with all the emotion and the piety that belongs to each. For some it may be a bit confronting, but for the  faithful, it is an experience that will not be witnessed anywhere else in the world. I love the chaos. It makes organising the childrens' liturgy look like a day in the park!

This page is dedicated to our Catholic teachers and the parents who support them. I especially remember Michael Philpot and Br Chris Peel CFC, who with their teams pass on the faith in Young.

No comments:

Post a Comment