Sunday, July 4, 2010

Carpets

As you would now, Turkey is famous for its carpets. I have had the chance to visit a local co-operative that encourages and supports traditional Turkish carpet making. After going through the process I now understand the difference between the mass produced and the hand produced varieties. This demonstration was amazing and I hope  you can get some idea of the hands on process. These ladies patiently squat all day and weave carpets from the silk, wool and cotton that they have processed. You might be able to see the silk worm cocoons which are shaped rather like a marzipan coated almond. In the  pic above I am holding it in the bottom right hand corner. I held it to give an idea of the size. The lava is still inside but has been killed when the cocoon was placed in an oven prior to placing in the water from whence the fine thread is spun off. The thread on one cocoon can be 3 kilometers long and is the toughest natural fibre in the world - even bullet proof when used tightly en masse. As the demo went on we were offered raki which is the local drink. It tastes like ouzo and has the same effect...eventually. It is mixed with water and has cloudy magical qualities that numb the pain of using a visa card when purchasing a carpet. I can vouch for that!  That night I dreamt of black jelly beans and magic carpet rides.
This page is dedicated to Peter & Blowie and the team from Carpet Court in Young. When I get home I know how to find out if wool, cotton and silk are real in the carpets - yes involves a cigarette lighter, and no it does not involve raki. Watch out. By for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment