Thursday, November 25, 2010

Fighting the Cold

It is still freezing here, about 7 degrees. I  have a cold that I am finding difficult to shake, and also keeps Mark awake in his room as he hears my head cold snoring. I sleep well though!

I visited several holy places to ask for Divine assisitance  with the cold,

I have visited the sixth of the 21 Missions founded by Fr Junipero Serra  (statue in cemetery left) in this area. The Mission of San Francisco de Asissi, better known as Mission Dolores was founded in 1776, five days after the Declaration of Independence, on 9 October. It houses the Basilica (above) which Pope John Paul 11 visited in 1987, and also a cemetery containing thousands of Indian graves, as well as many of the city's early notarieties, most of whom were relocated into a common grave.

The Episcopal (Anglican) Grace Cathedral (right) was also interesting with its French Gothic style and magnificent stained glass windows. It was built from 1928 to 1964 on the site of the previous cathedral which was destroyed by earthquake and fire, as is the custom here apparently.

My trip to Berkeley University was also interesting (pics below). I was lucky enough to get to lectures and presentations on two local ecclesiastical landmarks, one being Mark's Holy Redeemer parish Church and then the Oakland Cathedral of Christ the Light. I will be visiting that Cathedral tomorrow I hope.

This page is dedicated to all those women and men who are working on or contemplating a vocation to the priesthood or religious life. Blessed Junipero Serra is one of the patron saints of religious vocations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment