Monday, November 15, 2010

25th Anniversary Mass

Today (14 November here and 15 November in Oz) I celebrated my 25th Jubilee Mass in the parish of St Michael the Archangel, Dunedin, Florida. This parish is Robin and Brian's local and they had arranged this opportunity for me. So with Drew, Rhys and Brooke as 'family', we had a very personal celebration with the 11.00am parish community.

The Gospel of the 33rd Sunday Year C focused on the hardships that may be encountered by those who work in Christ's name. It was a good reference point for to reflect on the 25 years of my priesthood.
I delivered my homily by answering the questions that are most often asked of me about the priesthood: Did I always want to be a priest? How did I know the priesthood was for me? What has been or are the greatest challenges for me as a priest? and, What have been the highlights for me as a priest over the last 25 years?

My answers to these questions covered my non-Catholic background, the fact that we grow continually into our vocation by being faithful to answering the call, the great scandal of clergy abuse in the last thirty years, and finally my years in the Navy, the Parish of Young where I have pastoral responsibility and the long service leave experience I have been having.
After a warm reception in the parish centre (The Cenacle), complete with an Aussie coloured cake, the family and I headed for a lunch near the seaside at the infamous 'Crab Shack'.  We laughed and fought crabs for the next two hours. Brilliant.

This page is dedicated to the Parishes of St Mary's, Young and St Michael's at Dunedin, and to all those who I have baptised and confirmed, married, reconciled, anointed, buried and fed at the Lord's Table over the last 25 years.
Pace e bene.

No comments:

Post a Comment