Monday, November 29, 2010

Chilling out in San Fran

I have spent the last couple of cold days wandering around local sights. The sunshine is wonderful but it is still  cool. 
 







  

I recently visited the San Francisco Archdiocesan Cathedral of St Mary of the Assumption.
 http://www.stmarycathedralsf.org/. It too is not old, opened 1971, and possesses some interesting architectural aspects including the thousands of aluminium rods that are suspended above the altar, taking in and deflecting light ever so gently.

I was lucky enough to experience an organ recital, so managed to hear the instrument in perfect peace. 
That is a pic of the magnificent organ on it pedestal which matches the four pillars that hold the cathedral in place.

  
The pic to the left shows the main entry and baptismal font area. The afternoon light brings out the colours well. (Double click the pic). 
I then finished my day with a quick visit to the Macy's Christmas display in Union Square downtown. I watched ice skaters and shoppers getting into the spirit while I kept my Visa card out of sight of the shops. I could feel it sweating in my pocket, but I never gave in.

This page is dedicated to those who despair over the Christmas period, especially those who have to work on Sundays. Pace e bene.



No comments:

Post a Comment